sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career advice needed - M.Phil in biotech?
Need to ask few questions. I have recently done MBBS from Pakistan, now I want to pursue my career in genetic engineering especially related to gene therapy. But i don't know how to take a start here in pakistan, most of the institutes here are offering M.phil in biotechnology (that is gross). UHS is offering M.phil in human genetics. No one is specifically related to Gene therapy, while in USA there is special fellowship training program of 2 years for physicians in clinical genetics. Can you please elaborate me the difference between the M.phil in human genetics, biotechnology, clinical genetics. It is difficult to get a admission in USA, so while living in Pakistan how should I start? Should i go for M.phil?

Best Regards
Like Post Reply
A degree in human genetics would most likely study how genes are inherited through families, and wouldn't be helpful for your career goal of gene therapy and genetic engineering. If you want to perform clinical research, testing new therapies in humans, then the clinical genetics degree might be your best bet. If you want to do basic research helping to design the gene therapy, you might be better off getting a degree in biotechnology or basic medical sciences.
Like Post Reply
Thanku so much.
If I do m.phil in biotech followed by phd.
Would it be helpful for me for achieving my goals??
Thanks again
Like Post Reply
Hi Doctor,

I can see that Bridgett tried to answer your question nicely .. but you should ideally consult the admission manager/course coordinator of the institution you are targeting. Check if the program falls in line with your expectations. Course contents, placements, job opportunities vary wildly based on country and college. It is very hard for anyone us to precisely say is one course is better for you, will help you achieve your goals, etc.. Just by knowing the degree they are offering says nothing.

For example, if you have done your undergrad from a foreign country and you apply to a USA or UK based university for higher studies they require an in depth unit wise details of the course completed etc..

You should try to contact final year students / pass-out students what they feel about their future prospects. Search online for college/course reviews. Additionally #1 rule is, get your degree from a higher ranking institute than from someone that has just opened recently.

Wishing you all the best .. do share your findings here. They may be helpful for another student like you from Pakistan.
Like Post Reply
Yeah sure.
Thanku so much Smile
Like Post Reply
How to make a career in Gene Therapy?

Gene Therapy – The emerging field in genetics involving the use of genetic material to treat gene related diseases.

Present Scenario for gene therapy: Applied in research activities, clinical trials, experiments and academic oriented.

Future: It’s a booming field and the requirement for a person specialized in gene therapy is likely to increase in near future.

Career options:
Researcher / scientist in Research Labs (colleges and hospitals)

Researcher in Pharmaceutical companies

Teaching - colleges/Universities

Medical field

Gene therapy oriented research scientists are hired by FDA in order to study the safety, efficacy and feasibility of the gene therapy related projects which comes to FDA for approval.

Academic Requirements to pursue a career in gene therapy:

Basically students should have science background from schools

A Bachelors degree covering the fields

Biotechnology
Molecular biology and Cell biology
Genetics
Immunology
Viruses
Bioinformatics

A Masters degree in the relevant field after a bachelors degree
Ph.D (Doctrate in philosophy) is must for Research projects eligibility.

After Ph.D look out for various post doctoral research projects available in various academic institutions and medical institutes/ research laboratories guided by a well experienced and well qualified scientist.

Can I treat a patient with gene therapy if I qualify with the above degrees?

No. You need to have a licensed medical degree and M.D degree and post doctoral research work experience in the related field if you want to deal with the patients directly.

Doctors can choose gene therapy related Post doctoral fellowships or residential programs to gain practical experience and to specialize in this field.

The job opportunities available in this area of genetics based on the qualification:

Lab Technician
Researcher / Scientist
Genetic counselor
Medical Scientist
Gene Therapist

Salary: Based on the credentials you hold and experience you have in this field you will be paid well.
Like Post Reply
Thank you, it has answered almost all questions. But I have one more query, if I do M.phil in biotech, & PHD followed by post doc thn can I get license and degree for work?
Furthermore post doc fellowship and training is only available at few centers in USA but I am living in Asia. Here I have only option for Ph.D.
Please guide me regarding it.
Thanka
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 17,884
06-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Postrootjoe2012