sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opening a bioreactor to put a scaffold in
Let's say that a bioreactor has been filled with media and autoclaved.  At this point, if I wanted to open it (ideally through a port, rather than taking the entire top off) for several seconds under a hood, would I likely introduce too much bacteria/fungi into the culture to compromise its viability?  Or, would this likely be perfectly acceptable?  Thank you in advance.
Like Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 03:03 PM)walkingfish Wrote: Let's say that a bioreactor has been filled with media and autoclaved.  At this point, if I wanted to open it (ideally through a port, rather than taking the entire top off) for several seconds under a hood, would I likely introduce too much bacteria/fungi into the culture to compromise its viability?  Or, would this likely be perfectly acceptable?  Thank you in advance.

Take 5-10 ml 70% ethanol. Pour it around the port you wish to open. Set it on flame using the in-hood burner. Bring the flame behind the port (ensuring that the airflow of the hood is keeping the direction of the flame towards the port). Open your port and do whatever you want in this position only.

(Goes without saying that each of this must be done in the laminar hood with airflow on).

To make it more safe, a positive air-pressure inside the reactor (by allowing an in flow of the filter sterilized air) should be maintained. This would ensure that none of the outside air enters the reactor due to air pressure difference. But you should not remove the air supply till the use of your reactor is over for the current batch (cutting off air supply can lead to negative air pressure inside the reactor).

Best wishes
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply
Thank you very much.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread