sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career questions - Join Startup or a Well Established Company
My personal thoughts ..

1. I guess you should go to a website called Salary.com to compute salary projections. They have categorization by years of experience, education and region.

2. San Francisco is the Mecca of Biotech companies these days, you will have lot of choices. If you are in Bay area, there are biotech companies mushrooming all over the place. Check out websites like monster.com , careerbuilder.com and hotjobs.com.

3. Regarding your choice of startup or well established companies, one can go either way. With startups, the benefits are more responsibility, faster career promotion (less competition within the company), longer working hours and if it ever goes a successful IPO, ($$$) it can be very lucrative. But there are lot of risks too (what if the research/ product fails or funding dampens?), more often than not small companies are not too well managed and resources are often limited. Bottomline, startups are always high risk-highly rewarding entities.

My personal preference would be to work for a well established company like Genentech, Amgen for 1-2 years and jump over to a Startup after that. This way one will have a big company name on the resume, plus enough time to carefully pick a startup of choice.
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Career questions in Biotechnology - by Charles - 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 18,472
06-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Postrootjoe2012