This company laid its foundation in the year 2003 and has been growing ever since. The expert research scientists of this firm regulate the transforming growth factor beta (TGF – beta) that belongs to the super family of proteins into medications. This has been widely used in the treatment of blood diseases and cancer. TGF – beta plays a fundamental role in growth and repair of blood vessels, blood cells and bone tissues.
The headquarters of Acceleron Pharmaceuticals is based in Cambridge, United States. The firm has been a receiver of several awards for making a valuable contribution in the area of pharmaceuticals.
Popular biotech products
Acceleron pharmaceuticals have hands on expertise in manufacturing drugs for those diseases for which no therapies have yet been approved. In addition, the drugs manufactured by this company have also proved to be useful when it is given in addition to other drugs for treatment of specific diseases.
The firm has 3 branches of biologic therapies. The therapies along with their uses in diseases are listed below:
1. Sotatercept that has been used for treating disease conditions such as β-Thalessemia, chronic kidney disease, myelodisplastic syndrome, multiple myeloma, diamond – blackfan anemia and myeofibrosis.
2. ACE-536 has been indicated in disease conditions such as β-Thalessemia and myelodisplastic syndrome.
3. Dalantercept is used in treatment for cancers of the head and neck, renal cell carcinoma, endometrial and ovarian cancer.
The year 2013, has been an eventful year for Acceleron pharmaceuticals.
• The company received approval from The Food and Drug Administration on the drug ACE-536 for treatment of rare blood diseases.
• In the same year, it initiated its phase 2 study for the drug ACE-356 for treating patients with β-thalessemia. The drug ACE-356 is also being tested for its efficacy in treating anemia in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome.
• It also began its clinical trial for dalantercept for treating patients with ovarian cancer.
Recent company takeovers
Acceleron pharmaceuticals has partnered with several corporate firms which are pioneers in their own fields. It has made collaborations with biopharmaceutical companies to extend its research on products that can be used for treating several life threatening disease conditions such as cancers and anemia.
In the year 2010, Acceleron pharmaceutical joined hands with Shire at $498 million for the drug ACE-031 and other molecules.
This firm has received about $225 million in company collaborations. The joint collaborations will help them expand and discover new products. The collaborations will also help in conducting clinical trials for the newly discovered products.
In the year 2011, Acceleron pharmaceuticals shook hands with Celgene Corporation for the ACE-536 program. The basic aim of the joint collaboration was to develop new products for eradicating anemia throughout the nation. It was also decided that Celenge will pay an amount of $25 million as an upfront payment for developing and commercialization of ACE-536.
Acceleron pharmaceuticals have recently registered for public offering of stock that could move up to $74.8 billion. The company however, is yet to decide on the number of stocks and the price for each offering.
In the year 2012, the company lost about $32.6 million on revenues of about $15.3 million. It has also been said that the Citigroup and Leerinck Swann LLC will have a joint collaboration with Acceleron pharmaceutical in this offering.
Towards the end of the year 2011, Acceleron secures about $30M private financing.
Acceleron has bagged several local and national awards for its outstanding performance towards research and development of pharmaceuticals for the health of the public at large. It has received the Boston Business Journal award in the year 2009, Fierce Biotech Winner, The Wall Street Journal Award and Team Massachusetts Economic Impact Awards.
The work culture of Acceleron pharmaceuticals is very professional yet friendly. This firm believes in team and collaborative work and is forever striving hard to take research to new heights. Discovery of new products for treating life threatening disease conditions is the main motto of this firm. The individuals at Acceleron are hard working and conduct all clinical trials with perfection. The two main factors for the success of this firm are team work and the nature of team work.
Acceleron pharmaceuticals has been a part of several interesting events in the past. In the current year also, it took part in the 31st Annual J. P. Morgan Healthcare conference. In the past years too, the firm participated in several conferences and international meets for presenting their clinical findings as well as being at par with the upcoming events. Some of the important events have been summarized as below:
• In the year 2012, Acceleron along with its partners presented data on the “potential biomarkers for metastatic breast cancer and head and neck cancer” at the conference on 2012 markers in cancer.
• In the year 2011, Acceleron presented its data on “Anabolic bone effects of ACE-661” at an international meet.
• In the year 2010, it presented findings of its preliminary research on ACE-031 from Phase 1 of “First- in human clinical trial” at the 22nd EORTC-NCI-AACR symposium. In the same year, it also presented its research findings on ACE-031 from phase 1 “Multiple ascending dose study in healthy volunteers.
Recent job openings
http://www.acceleronpharma.com/our-company/careers/ .. Says
We are seeking talented and passionate individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, team-oriented and collaborative environment to be part of our company. The people at Acceleron have been and will continue to be the key to our success.
Acceleron Pharma is an equal opportunity employer.
Acceleron provides a comprehensive benefit program for all eligible employees who work at least 30 hours per week. Our benefit program is specifically designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families now and in the future.
Cultural background of an individual has nothing to do with the recruitment process of this firm. The main qualification should be talent, hard work and individuals should have an analytical mind to be a part of Acceleron pharmaceuticals.