sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GATE Biotech Aptitude Part Preparation
Lightbulb 
Recently, I got a query from one of the members of Biotechnologyforums at my email, about tips for preparation of Aptitude part of GATE BT exam. Thought to share the response with all of you. Hope the tips might help you all.

Well, one should never ignore the aptitude part, as it carries a good 15 marks weightage out of total 100. And, most of the questions are always quite straightforward for those who have had a glance of basic aptitude concepts in following 5 domains:

1. Quantitative Aptitude
2. Data Interpretation
3. Logical Reasoning
4. Verbal ability
5. Verbal Reasoning

And believe me, you just need to know the basics of solving aptitude questions in above domains (and not the super complicated/tortuous aptitude questions like those asked in CAT). The questions asked in GATE Aptitude part are actually quite straightforward. All you need is a little brushing-up of your skills. Following are the links to most appropriate preparation material:

A. Quantitative Aptitude

Link 1 Link 2
A thorough preparation at Link 1 (Indiabix) should suffice.

B. Data Interpretation

Link 1 Link 2

These questions are often very easy and seldom asked in GATE BT.

C. Logical Reasoning
Link 1 Link 2 (Nice Video Lectures)

Be thorough with Logical Reasoning, it's very common in GATE BT aptitude.

D. Verbal ability
The first 5 questions of GATE BT Aptitude are often of verbal ability. Though most of the answers depend upon the knowledge you gathered throughout your academic life, some preparation can help add to the knowledge.

Link 1 Link 2 (Good Files to Download)

E. Verbal Reasoning
Also commonly asked in GATE BT. Give special focus to Blood Relation Test, Seating Arrangement, Venn Diagrams, Verification of Truth, Direction Sense Test , Logical Sequence of Words and Series Completion.

Link

Hope these tips help you in some way. All the Best for GATE BT 2014!

For other tips on GATE BT, Click here

Thanks for Reading!
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
[+] 1 user Likes SunilNagpal's post
Like Post Reply
thank u bro, it helped me a lot, as i was helpless. please can you say me the mode of preparation and the books which i can refer for preparing my core syllabus
Like Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 02:37 PM)AMARNATH VENKATESH Wrote: thank u bro, it helped me a lot, as i was helpless. please can you say me the mode of preparation and the books which i can refer for preparing my core syllabus

Dear Amarnath,

I'm glad that you found the post useful. Well, as I mentioned in my one of the posts (Click here), it's much more important to go by the blue-print of the paper than by the books alone. Make sure that you are thorough with minute details of all previous-year questions. When I say "minute details", I mean that read entirely about all four options of an MCQ (You might know the correct answer of an MCQ from previous year papers, but it's really very crucial to precisely know as to why other 3 options were incorrect, and for that you need to explore details of every part of a question). For next one month, just follow this approach of exhaustively covering the previous year papers. Once you are done with that, just let me know here, I'll shed the advice for further plan of action.

"Take one-step at a time.."

All the best.

If there's something else you need to know, feel free to ask.

Cheers!

Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
thank u bro., i've some doubts yet to be clarified.
1 ) i will be completing my 2nd year biotechnology in sastra university by this month. i want to make my basic little more stronger. till now i have been exposed to subjects like biochemistry and microbiology. i will be dealing with plant and animal biotechnology and immunology in my upcoming yrs., to be frank, i want to learn some topics in microbiology and cell biology..

pls suggest me , will the method which you suggest will suit for me.

2) what will be the cut off mark for getting top iit's,

3) can you give me some idea regarding CSIR examination,and ways to face it
Like Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 11:37 PM)AMARNATH VENKATESH Wrote: thank u bro., i've some doubts yet to be clarified.
1 ) i will be completing my 2nd year biotechnology in sastra university by this month. i want to make my basic little more stronger. till now i have been exposed to subjects like biochemistry and microbiology. i will be dealing with plant and animal biotechnology and immunology in my upcoming yrs., to be frank, i want to learn some topics in microbiology and cell biology..

pls suggest me , will the method which you suggest will suit for me.

2) what will be the cut off mark for getting top iit's,

3) can you give me some idea regarding CSIR examination,and ways to face it

You have 18 months in hand before you become eligible for GATE. It's time to keep your basics right. As you have been through Biochemistry and Microbiology, I would recommend strengthening of your concepts through standard books (followed in IITs and thus most questions end up from these books).

For Microbiology: Brock's Biology of Microorganisms (It's a Bible!)
Go through Antibiotics section in Prescott's Microbiology as well.

For Biochemistry: Stryer's Biochemistry is best. Be thorough with energy sheets of metabolic cycles.

And, very importantly, dont wait for your coursework to begin. If you have time, start reading Kuby's Immunology (start from introductory chapter, read it like a story and you'll love it!)

Bioprocess Engineering is just indispensable. You'll need a strong mentor to let you through the concepts (unless you have the patience to be your own tutor and understand the interesting calculations of Bioprocess). Book to go for is Doran.

And to give you an initial estimate of your target, you will need to score minimum 50 marks out of 100 to get into a reputed IIT for a major in biotechnology.

For now, this should suffice. Be thorough with your concepts first. You have ample time.

All the best!

Cheers!
Sunil
Sunil Nagpal

Suggested Reads:
Like Post Reply
Hello Sir,
This year IISc Bangalore is the organising institute for GATE. Concerning the organising institute can you please tell which subjects are most important !
Like Post Reply
Sir I m getting 32.39 marks in gate biotech 2017 on matching with official ans keys.Will I get any IIT?What should I do?
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 43
Views: 329,470
01-08-2020, 02:28 AM
Last Postsri
Replies: 0
Views: 6,215