sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GATE Biotech Aptitude Part Preparation
(05-20-2014, 11:37 PM)AMARNATH VENKATESH Wrote: thank u bro., i've some doubts yet to be clarified.
1 ) i will be completing my 2nd year biotechnology in sastra university by this month. i want to make my basic little more stronger. till now i have been exposed to subjects like biochemistry and microbiology. i will be dealing with plant and animal biotechnology and immunology in my upcoming yrs., to be frank, i want to learn some topics in microbiology and cell biology..

pls suggest me , will the method which you suggest will suit for me.

2) what will be the cut off mark for getting top iit's,

3) can you give me some idea regarding CSIR examination,and ways to face it

You have 18 months in hand before you become eligible for GATE. It's time to keep your basics right. As you have been through Biochemistry and Microbiology, I would recommend strengthening of your concepts through standard books (followed in IITs and thus most questions end up from these books).

For Microbiology: Brock's Biology of Microorganisms (It's a Bible!)
Go through Antibiotics section in Prescott's Microbiology as well.

For Biochemistry: Stryer's Biochemistry is best. Be thorough with energy sheets of metabolic cycles.

And, very importantly, dont wait for your coursework to begin. If you have time, start reading Kuby's Immunology (start from introductory chapter, read it like a story and you'll love it!)

Bioprocess Engineering is just indispensable. You'll need a strong mentor to let you through the concepts (unless you have the patience to be your own tutor and understand the interesting calculations of Bioprocess). Book to go for is Doran.

And to give you an initial estimate of your target, you will need to score minimum 50 marks out of 100 to get into a reputed IIT for a major in biotechnology.

For now, this should suffice. Be thorough with your concepts first. You have ample time.

All the best!

Cheers!
Sunil
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GATE Biotech Aptitude Part Preparation - by SunilNagpal - 05-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 43
Views: 333,652
01-08-2020, 02:28 AM
Last Postsri
Replies: 0
Views: 6,403
06-30-2017, 12:24 AM