sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interview at IIT-Delhi: MSR-School of Biological Sciences - Help
(05-24-2015, 02:52 AM)ASMITA PANDEY Wrote: Sunil sir,

I have been selected for MSR in IITD, biotechnology and biochemical engineering department, IIT Kharagpur for M.tech in biotechnology and biochemical engineering and IIT Madras for clinical engineering. I am not sure which institute to choose among these. I am not sure if i want to do Phd afterwards. what is the scope after doing these courses. It will be of great help if you could guide me and give me some information regarding the future scope of these courses. 

Thank you.

Hi Ashmita,

Go for M.Tech in IIT Kharagpur. MS(Research) course is better off for research profiles in future career, especially PhD. M.Tech will keep you open for both. In terms of placement, you'll find equal opportunities in both IITD and IITKgp (lesser in IIT Madras). But as I have said earlier, if you are proactive during your Masters, no one can deny you a good job.

Reasons for recommending IIT Kgp:
1) MS course can take upto 3 years to finish (unless you are very active and disciplined).
2) Practical work load is higher in MS (go for it only if you are well prepared for research, which at times can be a slow process).
3) MS mostly leaves you with research oriented career, especially academia.
4) IITD is yet to match IITKgp in terms of campus infrastructure.
5) Grabbing a DAAD fellowship is easier in IITKgp (as it is dependent on your professor 'whether to allow you for a year in Germany or not'. IITD professors mostly don't favor it because of the hectic requirements of MS course. IITKgp professors on the other hand encourage you to go for DAAD fellowship).
6) M.Tech will keep you open for a technical job as well.

Hope it helps

Best wishes
Sunil

PS: As requested to sram, I request you as well to share your interview experiences and join this chain of helping others.
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RE: IIT Delhi DBEB PhD - by SunilNagpal - 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Choices and Decisions on PG - by sram022 - 05-24-2015, 01:27 AM
RE: Interview at IIT-Delhi: MSR-School of Biological Sciences - Help - by SunilNagpal - 05-26-2015, 12:59 AM
IIT Delhi DBEB PhD - by sram022 - 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 2
Views: 11,069
10-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Last Postshreyabiotech93
Replies: 0
Views: 6,899