sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Biotech. Research Thrusts of IITs
(07-31-2016, 05:01 AM)SAN Wrote: Hi,

My name is Sanya Ahmed (Mrs. Mazharul Haque, mother of a two year old boy). I am a Pakistani national, married to an Indian and residing in West Bengal on Long Term Visa (LTV) provided by the Govt. of India, since December 2013. I have already applied for Indian nationality.

In Pakistan I was enrolled in a joint Mphil/PhD (Molecular Medicine), which I could not continue as I had to travel to India after marriage. I cleared my coursework there and got my synopsis approved in first attempt. I received a band of 7.5/9 in IELTS and was planning to give GRE as these two were the requirements in my previous institution. My BSc Honours (3 year) and MSc with research (1 year) are in Biotechnology. I have also earned a 2 year taught masters in Bioethics (an NIH funded program in Pakistan) with a GPA 3.6/4. 

My Inquiry is regarding continuation of my education in India at IIT Kgp. Whether I have to be an Indian national to be eligible or I can pursue PhD here on my current status. Kindly provide me the details.

Thanks.

Hello Mam,

Sorry for the delayed response.

You don't have to be an Indian National for pursuing PhD in any of the IIT. Till the time you don't get your citizenship, you can apply as a foreign national (you won't be eligible for the RAship / scholarship offered by institute in that case). But if your citizenship approval is expected soon, then you can wait and apply later (in that case you will definitely get a scholarship of INR ~32000 per month.

As a foreign national (and being a SAARC nation citizen as of now), you will have to pay a fee of US$2000 per annum. You can actually apply for (ICCR) or (SAARC Fellowship Scheme) scholarship as a foreign national (citizens of Pakistan are also considered in this scheme).

A full article of scholarships offered by govt of India to foreign nations is here: CLICK HERE

or go to this link: http://www.biotechnologyforums.com/threa...10751.html

I hope some of this information helps you out.

In case there is any other query, feel free to revert back.
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biotech. Research Thrusts of IITs - by kmsri - 03-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Inquiry to pursue PhD in India - by SAN - 07-31-2016, 05:01 AM
RE: Inquiry to pursue PhD in India - by SunilNagpal - 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM