sales@biotechnologyforums.com to feature here

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Counselling
Wink 
Hi. I'm a final year B.E. Electronics student from Mumbai Univ. I know it's very late, but I'm interested in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, etc.
Is there any way I can change my field after my B.E.? Perhaps a correspondence course in Biology or Biotechnology will help me get admission for my Master's degree?
I'm trying hard to find a way to change my field. I dispise Electronics Engineering.
Waiting for a reply. Thank-you!
Like Post Reply
(02-26-2017, 09:18 AM)DharAks Wrote: Hi. I'm a final year B.E. Electronics student from Mumbai Univ. I know it's very late, but I'm interested in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, etc.
Is there any way I can change my field after my B.E.? Perhaps a correspondence course in Biology or Biotechnology will help me get admission for my Master's degree?
I'm trying hard to find a way to change my field. I dispise Electronics Engineering.
Waiting for a reply. Thank-you!
DharAks,

Best part about Biotechnology is that it is highly interdisciplinary. You can easily fit into Biotechnology field with a little brushing of biological concepts (for competitive exams).

Whereas Biomedical Engineering should be an ideal field for you, it's your prerogative as to which field you switch into based on your interests.

At the same time, I must say that one should not fancy a field superficially (there is a lot of theoretical and practical knowledge needed to be gained before even being able to perform simplest experiments). Ideal way for you would be to use the knowledge you have gained in your field for some application in Biotechnology. And in that sense, Biomedical Engineering has immense scope for you. You can in fact go for a masters in Biomedical Engineering (IIT Bombay takes 2-3 people from Electronics and Electrical Engg. for their masters programme in Biomedical). If you have a GATE qualification (in electronics only), you can apply in Biotechnology department of any IIT you wish to get into. During interviews, let them know your interest (with probably a proposal of the kind of work you have envisioned for yourself in future, but flexible enough to work on any project assigned).

If GATE qualification is not there, you should appear for GRE and try for Masters or PhD in a good university and enrol in a project related to Biotechnology.

If GRE is also beyond management, then contact profs in European Universities. They recruit students for PhD prgrams without any GRE scores, but purely on their interest and merit basis. Yours being a case which they do not confront everyday, shall catch their attention for sure. Try for Max Planck to start with.

Hope it helps
Sunil Nagpal
MS(Research) Scholar, IIT Delhi (Alumnus)
Advisor for the Biotech Students portal (BiotechStudents.com)
Computational Researcher in BioSciences at a leading MNC

Suggested Reads:
Top Biotech Companies | Top places to work
Indian Biotech Companies and Job Openings
Aiming a PhD in Top Grad School? | These are the Important Points to Consider
Careers in Biotechnology | A list of various Options
Biotechnology Competitive Exams in India
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread
Author
  /