I should really appreciate the awesome work done by you so far in guiding the students for the application process!
I have applied for the PhD program at NUS and my only concern is my low GRE score of 315 (exam jitters got better of me!) My
UG percentage is also a factor( though Calcutta University is notorious for the low marks). I hope to get a call from them !
I have decent LOR (from my guide at IIT B and the professor from my foreign internship). Would I be eligible for the A Star scholarship?
I think I have a decent enough profile for NUS (which going seems a bit liberal)!
Please find copy pasted my CV for the applications.(it might be tad too long) I did not want to hide any information
Examination University Specialisation Year CPI / %
Post Graduation IIT Bombay Molecular Parasitology 2015 9.34
Under Graduation University of Calcutta Biochemistry Honours 2013 72.5
Higher Secondary ISC Science 2010 90.5
Secondary ICSE Additional :Computer Applications 2008 95
Recipient of Fellowship by DBT, Govt. of India for a period of two years [2013-15]
Recipient of INSPIRE fellowship, Government of India [2010-15]
Recipient of Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search [2010-15]
Secured All India Rank 51, in the UGC- JRF National Eligibility Test Exam 
Secured All India Rank 45 in Biological Sciences, IISc 
Secured All India Rank 22 in Biotechnology, Joint Admission Test, IIT JAM 
Secured All India Rank 17 in Combined Biotechnology Entrance Exam, JNU 
Secured All India Rank 1 in Entrance Exam to Hyderabad Central University 
M.Sc Academic Project Characterization of biomarkers for severe malaria [2014-15]
Cloning and Expression of a novel protein and subsequent Analysis of the Blood Samples of patients.
Devising new clinical tests for better analysis of the severity in Malarial patients
Genetic Engineering Over expression of a regulatory protein, ScoC from E.coli 
Cloning, expression and purification of ScoC gene using pET 28a from E.coli, DH5α
Microbiology Project Isolation and Characterization of microorganisms in Powai lake water 
Identification of isolated microorganisms on the basis of microscopic and biochemical characteristics
Biophysics Project Comparative analysis of BSA and HSA spectrophotometrically 
Comparative analysis of common proteins using UV-Vis, Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Circular Dichroism
Biochemistry Project Purification and Assay of enzyme catechol 2,3 dioxygenase 
Purification of enzyme by precipitation
Estimation of enzyme’s activity, yield and purification fold
Characterisation of Novel Malarial Bio markers [Summer 2014]
• Designing new novel protein and expression in BL21
• Standardisation ELISA
• Performed under Prof. Kasturi Haldar,C.S.C Professor of Biological Sciences & Director, Centre for Rare and
Neglected Diseases, University of Notre Dame
Study of Regenerative techniques for burn patients- Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine 
• Created Database of more than 150 patients using different parameters of disease and recovery.
• Observed and taken part in the medical procedure in which Fetal tissue transplants helped in recovery of wounds.
Biofilter: An effective treatment of arsenic contaminated water using micro-organisms 
• Characterisation of Novel Bacterial Species capable of reducing Arsenic Content
• Determined the capability to reduce Arsenic by 43%.
LABORATORY & COMPUTER SKILLS
ANALYTICAL BIOCHEMISTRY BIOPHYSICAL TECHNIQUES
Quantification of macromolecules, Assaying enzyme, Purification of enzymes using chromatographic techniques,
Agarose gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE and Native PAGE, Receptor-ligand studies; UV-visible spectroscopy,
Fluorescence spectroscopy, Circular dichroism
Isolation, Cultivation, Identification and Quantification of bacteria and fungus, Viable cell count by Haemocytometer,
Growth curve, Antibiotic sensitivity test, Antibiotic bioassay, Replica plating, Ouchterlony double immunodiffusion,
GENETIC ENGINEERING TECHNIQUES
Plasmid isolation, Polymerase chain reaction, Competent cell preparation by calcium chloride method, Cloning
of gene, Expression and Purification of protein , Western Blot, ELISA
C programming and JAVA programming, LATEX , MATLAB ,PYTHON, R, MS-Office and LibreOffice,
Basic Bio-informatics tools (BLAST, FASTA,CLUSTALW,RASMOL,GENSCAN), Basic web designing
• 2012:Winners of State Level “Undergraduate Science Quiz” organised by Bose Institute,Kolkata
• 2011:Winners of Jagadish Bose National Science for Best Undergraduate Student Research
• 2011:Winner of the Best Speaker on “Modern Trends in MicroBiology” ,St. Xavier’s College
• 2010:Merit Certificate for being among the highest scorers in South Kolkata in Board exam
• 2010: Awarded Merit Certificate the First Stage of Indian Biological Olympiad (Among Top 3%)
• 2009: Awarded Merit Certificate for being among the Top 10% of Students in the Indian Biological Olympiad
• 2008: Merit Certificate for being among the highest scorers in South Kolkata in Boards exam
• Working Project was selected for Presentation at the 99 th Indian Science Congress " Biofilter: An effective treatment of
arsenic contaminated water using micro-organisms".
Publication: Proceedings of 99 th Session of Indian Science Congress, Pages 117-118.
• Winners of "UCO Bank Medha Samman" for Best Undergraduate Student Research on the project " Biofilter: An effective
treatment of arsenic contaminated water using micro-organisms".
• 2011-Winner of the Best Speaker on “Modern Trends in MicroBiology”,St. Xavier’s College .
• Poster Presentation at National Seminar on Biotechnology for Sustainable Development, HIT- Kolkata
Articles for VOICE magazine (global bi-monthly magazine accredited by United Nations Alliance of Civilizations)
• Prometheus: From a legend to a reality, VOICE,Issue 4, Pages 52-57( http://www.voicefortheyouth.com )
• SyNAPSE- Linking the real with the Virtual, VOICE, Issue 5, Pages 62- 68
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
•Council Member (Masters Representative), BSBE, IIT Bombay 
Selected as Masters Representative in the Department Student Council overseeing Activities involving ~60 Students
•Event Manager and Coordinator for the Generations 2014 (Dept Fest of BSBE, IITB) 
Coordinated between students of various parts of the country for the publicity of the fest Event Manager for
the poster presentation academic event.
•Coordinator, Department Alumni Meet , IIT Bombay 
Working as a coordinator for Alumni meet for more than 500+ alumi.
• Coordinator for the Creatives department of Techfest- 
One of the coordinators of the Largest techfest in Asia and looked after foreign delegates.