Biotechnology Forums
B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - Printable Version

+- Biotechnology Forums (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com)
+-- Forum: Information (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Questions and Answers (https://www.biotechnologyforums.com/forum-37.html)
+--- Thread: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 (/thread-7107.html)

Pages: 1 2

B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - dheepthi murali - 09-06-2015

Sir, 
 I am studying +2 with phy che biology and comp science. I am very much interested in Biotechnology subject. Whether +2 with maths is compulsory for Btech biotechnology course? Shall i get admission for Btech biotechnology without maths in +2? Plese help me.

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - SunilNagpal - 09-07-2015

Hi...its not too long since you would have started your 12th...try your best to add mathematics to your curriculum as well..you can get admission without maths but that would be in private colleges only...you will need mathemtics for getting admission in govt colleges...maths is not compulsory, but you will get multiple exposures to it during your BTech, so better buckle up in advance..

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - namh65 - 10-17-2015

Dear Sir,
I have given my 12th board exams this year itself (CBSE) with PCB + Computer Science combination,
my school did not have a PCBM option so unfortunately I could not study math in 11th and 12th. Though my primary choice
was not Medical, however, I had no one to guide me about other biology courses after 12th except Medical,
I have been looking for an educational counselor too but to no resort.

I have given the AIPMT but have not qualified and intend to give it another shot next year, but I don't intend on doing MBBS
if I get a good course in biology, My percentage in boards was 91.25. While I like studying Biology on the other hand
Computer science is my passion [I have 4 certifications from HP already]. So in these 2-3 months after AIPMT with
some googling and research I found about three courses - Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Genetic Engineering as
well as your name on the in.biotechstudents.com blog so I thought about contacting you.

Since there is no way I can add math to my mark-sheet now, so guide me how to get admission in any of the above mentioned
three courses or if any other course without math, or about entrances in India which offer these courses without math. Also doing
B.Sc won't be any good, since B.Tech is always better than the B.Sc so I'm not planning on doing it. If you could also suggest
about abroad courses on these subjects or other biological subjects it would be great.

I would be waiting eagerly for a reply from your end and I have much more questions to ask. And I'm sure you'd understand my eagerness.

Warm Regards.
Ayushman.

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - SunilNagpal - 10-19-2015

(10-17-2015, 10:08 PM)namh65 Wrote: Dear Sir,
           I have given my 12th board exams this year itself (CBSE) with PCB + Computer Science combination,
my school did not have a PCBM option so unfortunately I could not study math in 11th and 12th. Though my primary choice
was not Medical, however, I had no one to guide me about other biology courses after 12th except Medical,
I have been looking for an educational counselor too but to no resort.

I have given the AIPMT but have not qualified and intend to give it another shot next year, but I don't intend on doing MBBS
if I get a good course in biology, My percentage in boards was 91.25. While I like studying Biology on the other hand
Computer science is my passion [I have 4 certifications from HP already]. So in these 2-3 months after AIPMT with
some googling and research I found about three courses - Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Genetic Engineering as
well as your name on the in.biotechstudents.com blog so I thought about contacting you.

Since there is no way I can add math to my mark-sheet now, so guide me how to get admission in any of the above mentioned
three courses or if any other course without math, or about entrances in India which offer these courses without math. Also doing
B.Sc won't be any good, since B.Tech is always better than the B.Sc so I'm not planning on doing it. If you could also suggest
about abroad courses on these subjects or other biological subjects it would be great.

I would be waiting eagerly for a reply from your end and I have much more questions to ask. And I'm sure you'd understand my eagerness.

Warm Regards.
Ayushman.

Hello Ayushman,
Sorry for the delay in response. 
First of all, you need to relax, all is going to be well. A good decision seeks a calm and stress-free mind. So, in order to make that good decision you need to stay calm. Let me give you some de-stressing opinions:
a) You have a brilliant academic performance on your cards. This will help you a lot in long run. So, well done about that!
b) You can very well add mathematics to your scoresheet. National Open Schooling as well as CBSE provides such provisions. You can appear for Mathematics as a single exam. And you can do that any time in your life!
c) You can get admission in private universities and institutes for pursuing B.Tech in Bioinformatics.
d) Bioinformatics is going to be the best course for you, but I would suggest you to work on the way towards getting undergrad degree in Computer Sciences (if that's really what you are passionate about).
e) For getting B.Tech in Bioinfo, IIIT Hyderabad, VIT, AMITY, DY Patil can be helpful. Your immediate next step after B.Tech should be GATE and try for IITs or NUS / HKTU for Masters.
f) You can also switch to Computer Sciences (after getting admission in B.Tech Bioinformatics). This happens in every university/institute after 1st year of degree. A student is expected to clear the local exams for the degree they are interested in; and based upon the performace, a student is allowed to make the switch. But in that case, it will be very very important for you to still appear for 12th level Maths exam in atleast National Open Schooling, as companies would ask for the marksheets of PCM.
g) IIIT conducts its own exam, so does VIT and DY Patil. You can try Thapar University as well. 

But my ultimate piece of advise would be, that go for B.Tech in Computer Sciences and work towards being eligible for the same.

Let me know if you have any other query.

Feel free!

And don't stress yourself out!

Best wishes
Sunil

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - namh65 - 10-19-2015

Thanks for your suggestion by replying at last. Phew...
However, computer science is not what I want to pursue, it is my hobby 
but it is not what I would want to make a living out of. I want do do a course
which would obviously have biology as its core and I have no problem with 
that. Hence it is not necessary that my field of study has to have computer
in it. It is just that I love it.

As you have mentioned about bioinformatics, could you also elaborate on its
scope after B.Tech and whether I could study Medical after that, you might
think, "This kid is crazy" but I like studying, and I intend to study forever.
You might have misinterpreted my liking about computer. Basically my aim is to first
get a degree and start working and then finance my own Medical study.

Any suggestions on foreign scholarships about courses related to my field[bio]
would be great. And thank you once more. Finally I got someone with answers,
you do not know how much relieved I am feeling right now.

Regards.
Ayushman Banerjee.

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - Sanha - 12-05-2016

Sir,
I am presently studying in class 10 and wish to make a career in btech . I have kept a mindset for PCB, but do I need to add maths to it ?

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - SunilNagpal - 12-10-2016

(12-05-2016, 10:08 PM)Sanha Wrote: Sir,
I am presently studying in class 10 and wish to make a career in btech . I have kept a mindset for PCB, but do I need to add maths to it ?
Hi Sanha,

It's not mandatory to opt for Maths to make a career in Biotechnology. But it definitely helps you a lot if you are sound in mathematics.

Requirement of maths in Biotechnology is actually highly variable. If you are going to get inclined towards wet lab research then you may expect lesser requirement of mathematics(by wet lab, it is meant that a person deals with biological specimens, reagents, instruments etc to perform experiments. A dry lab person is more inclined towards data analytics using computers).

But you will always feel the need of being statistically sound to analyse the results obtained through the experiments. In short, one can definitely make a career in Biotech without opting for Mathematics, but you can't eliminate the need for the same in your career.

Moreover, whereas almost every private college offers Biotech degrees to all interested and academically eligible students (irrespective of being PCB or PCM), most government colleges require you to have opted for Maths in class 12th.

Hope it helps

Best wishes

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - Ashwin - 12-15-2016

Sir ,i am student of 12th std and want to make career in biotech . I have pcb as subject in 12th and want to do b.tech in biotech ..
Can it is possible ??
If yesh suggest some top colleges of INDIA ..

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - sakshi jaiswal - 12-16-2016

Amity university

RE: B Tech biotechnology admission without maths in +2 - Ashwin - 12-17-2016

(12-16-2016, 10:04 PM)sakshi jaiswal Wrote: Amity university

What is the process to get it..
I have pcb as subject . Can i get it on the basis of 12 th percent